Here at St. Edmund’s CofE Primary and Nursery School, we believe that opportunities to work with animals provide unique opportunities for learning. We also recognize our responsibility to provide a safe environment and positive learning experiences for all pupils and a high standard of care and welfare to all animals involved.
Our aims in bringing animals into the school environment:
- To help pupils develop increased respect, empathy and a sense of responsibility for living things.
- To encourage pupils to consider the experiences and needs of other living things, including other pupils, school staff, and their families.
- To promote an interest in the natural environment and support hands-on learning across all areas of the curriculum.
- To help pupils develop a calm, confident, and sensitive manner when interacting with animals.
- To demonstrate best practice in the care of pets and other animals.